FIRST STEPS ON FREEDOM’S PATH
Sometimes we know where we want to end up, but we are unsure of what first steps we should take to get there. Many of us end up not moving forward at all. We get stuck because we don’t know what to do first. It all seems too overwhelming. I know; I’ve been where you are right now. The good news is that there are some very practical and simple steps to take as you begin your journey toward freedom. They are really about healthy self-care.
You’ve been living a life of self-gratification – not really caring how it impacted your heart, mind, soul or body. So, your first step toward freedom will be making choices that promote your mental, physical, emotional and spiritual health. To do this, you will need to remove a few things from your current way of living and embrace a few new things for a lifestyle of freedom. The Bible speaks of putting off (removing) old ways and old patterns that are deceitful and corrupt, and putting on (embracing) a new self that is truly like God – holy and righteous (Eph.4: 20-24).
These are your first steps toward walking in freedom.
We encourage to remove from your life
• Inappropriate language, joking, or conversation about or with other people.
• Flirting with any person other than your spouse.
• Access to pornography (put a filter on home/work computers).
• Access to people/places that tempt you (change your phone number, your daily routines, even your job if necessary).
• Any contact with former affair partners or others with whom you‘ve had inappropriate relationships.
– Troy Haas, First Steps